![]() |
| Thirty Year's War |
A war has been going on. I am not sure how long it has been happening, or how long it will last, but it is certainly very devastating. This war has been going on long before I came to power. During the war, I have refused to make peace with Spain even though the French ambassadors in Regensburg agreed. This is a treaty that would prohibit French interference in Germany. I believed this is unnecessary. I have advised Louis XIII to refuse to passing of the treaty and in 1631, I allied France with Sweden, who had just invaded the empire in the Treaty of Barwalde. To help with the military expenses, I raised the gabelle and taille. Each taxed items has its difference uses. Taille is used to provide funds to raise armies and wage war. I know this was unfair to many of the peasants, but by raising taxes, it helps provide for the army for protection for their country. Many revolts sprung during the time of taxation, but I have crushed each and every individual one, rather harshly and violently. This will be able to give them a lesson to not interfere with what is best for them. Under my command, I was able to defeat the Habsburg forces at the Battle of Lens. Even though I am proud of myself for the victory that I have won, I am still unable with the denunciation of people calling me a traitor to the Roman Catholic Church. I believe that my actions are the choice that would benefit them the most.

This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI, the current king of Sweden, would like to thank you and France for your assistance in the Thirty Year's War. Your alliance with our country had proved decisive in the battles. Our troops were able to emerge victorious against those Germans and Spanish. We were all able to make peace with each other. This was before I was brought into the world, but thank you.
ReplyDeleteCharles XI, King of Sweden
Cardinal, I am most pleased, I would say, to have formed this alliance with your nation. Surely, you will keep up your part of the agreement, as I will mine. And I assure your king, your investment will have been no waste. My army will proceed in this war, and we will succeed!
ReplyDeleteGustavus Adolphus
Richelieu you have been a very great adviser for me. You helped me through my rough times and now war. Through this war, we will conquer and make our country more powerful. Thank you for raising taxes, it helped our country by making our army more powerful which will benefit us. I can not thank you enough!
ReplyDeleteI assure you that your decsion to delclare war aginst me is a dreadful mistake for you. You will be facing the finest army in the world and you have no chance. Take back this declaration and Spain will be merciful. Speak to your king now, my Brother in law Louis XIII. I expect your apology and an end to this war in a few days.
ReplyDelete