![]() |
| Cardinal Richelieu |
Hello, my name is Armand Jean du Plessis de Richelieu, also known as Cardinal Richelieu. Allow me to introduce myself in a more detailed context. I am the third son of Lord of Richelieu born on September 9th of 1585 in Paris, France. I was a fragile child. I suffered many illness and health issues throughout my childhood. I am born into the lesser nobility of Poitou or what many people would call “middle class”. My older brother, Alphonse, left the life of being a bishop to become a monk. My father, François du Plessis, seigneur de Richelieu, started out by killing the murderer of my elder brother and then fighting through the wars of religion, alongside with Henri III until his death under Henri IV. He was a soldier and a courtier who served as the Grand Provost of France. My mother, Susanne de La Porte, was a daughter of a famous jurist. Her father François de La Porte was the first advocates of the parliament of Paris.
![]() |
| Cardinal Richelieu |
When my father died while assisting at the siege of Paris at July 10th, 1590, my mother sent me to Paris to study at Collège de Navarre at the age of 9 for philosophy, grammar, and military training along with my brothers but my studies were cut short when both my older brother refused to accept the office of bishop of Luçon. After my father died, our family became enormously in debt which was aided my government funds. Since my brothers rejected the invitation to become a bishop of Henri IV I later went to Collège de Calvi where I began my studies of theology at the age of 17, and in April 1607, I received a papal dispensation and was upheld as a priest and bishop. I voluntarily went for the position. After I was appointed bishop of Luçon by Henri IV, I became devoted to my Episcopal duties that I worked with for close to 6 years. I had huge ambitions to how far I could go. By 1614, I had achieved a reputation as a great administrator and a good speaker at meetings such as the Estates- General. I soon became known as someone who strongly supports the Roman Catholicism who held Spanish views. I have faith in myself that one day, I would soon reach greatness.


I am glad you took charge of France in a time of need. Upon reading your father's background, I felt deep sympathy for you. However, I also must admit that him playing a role in wars of religion was a waste of a life. One should accept other's religious views, not try to force one to believe in their own. I hope you will take this word of advice to heart as you continue your quest for greatness.
ReplyDelete